Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 20/21- Rule of Thirds/Final End

Second class of the new male students. Said Jilal is a no show, and Hidayat's English I think is getting worse by the day. Hidayat also missed this lesson the last time around and had no idea how to teach the new students. This made for a fun class. It was the, "lets all sit around and pool our English together to try and figure out what this infidel is saying at us" class. To make things even better, there were only about half the students there, and of course that half missing was the half with cameras. Then the memory cards got all messed up... "but he wasn't here last class so I let him borrow mine even though he had no camera to do anything with it, then he borrowed someone elses and gave mine to his uncles nephews best friends second cousins aunts son, who is also my third cousin twice removed on my goats side. So I don't have a memory card anymore."

I've asked Hameed and/or Rahmat to come to my next class to sort all of these problems out, because Hidayat didn't quite understand that there was a problem, all these reasons made perfect sense to him I guess... So we had to put all the memory cards into the computer to see whose was whose (I'd named all the memory cards after each student when I handed them out so that this didn't happen).

So we learned about different types of photography, including evocative photography like last time (speaking of which I don't believe any of my old students gave me any... demons) and I gave them the portrait assignment.

Next class, 3 students, hurray! Apparently they somehow all knew that Said Jilal wasn't there and since he teaches that class they all assumed that meant they should just not bother going. Oh the anger. Unfortunately it's iffy right now whether or not I'll be able to make an appearance at the next class to be able to work with Hameed and Rahmat on straightening this out, but I'm confident they'll be able to handle it themselves.

While making portfolios/certificates/copies of all pictures for the students, I realized that I really hated the second guys classes portfolios. They had some of the most amazing pictures, but for the most part their portfolios were terrible. So I went through all of their pictures and chose what I thought were their best ones. As they come in to collect their stuff, I'm sitting down with them one final time and making them choose their top 10 from the ones I picked and the ones they picked last time. So completion of portfolios is still in progress...

Next day, final time meeting with the girls. All of their cd's were ready, the last two girls had their printed portfolios ready, and I'd stolen back all of my batteries. Of course no doors were open or class rooms available, why would they be when they had been every single other Sunday? The world may never know.... For safety Hameed made us all just go behind the building so that I could hand out batteries and CD's without people staring at two boys with a giant group of girls. We went over the course outline I'd given them to make sure they all understood everything, and we collected phone numbers/exchanged emails so that photo collection/checking up of progress would be easier.

All done with the girls class! Still to do- hand out the rest of the guys portfolios from the first class (Finally collected all of their pictures as well) and make sure no problems there. Re choose portfolio with 4 more of the second guys class, then re distribute to all. I can start putting up the girls portfolio's now that I'm completely done with them and have no more changes that need to be made with any of them.

Happy Mothers Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment